The former Velden Castle
The remains of the Castle can still be seen at the former moat.
Until 1528 Velden Castle was owned by the supreme Episcopal Judge of Velden and the entire province. Later it became a prison and in 1626 the castle was besieged by rebellious farmers. In 1789 the famous linen trader Wöss purchased the remains of the former castle and erected the mayor´s building.
In 1926 the Scherrer family, a beer brewing dynasty, bought the house. A memorial plate on the house´s wall reminds of the famous composer Anton Bruckner who spent some days here.